20 Audiobooks That Will Make You Consider Scrubbing Your Crumb-Filled Refrigerator
Do you listen to audiobooks? Do you consider having listened to an audiobook counting as having read the book? Ah, the great debate of our time.
Personally, I love the feeling of finding a really satisfying audiobook. I struggle, though, to find that right combination of having a narrator whose voice I actually enjoy coupled with a story that I find absorbing enough to keep my attention and yet not so complicated that I have to be hitting the rewind button every few minutes.
When I do find that combination, I feel like I’ve hit the jackpot. Ding ding ding! Now I can be doing my beloved “reading” (or is it reading without the quotes?) while driving, showering, scrubbing out our disgusting refrigerator, putting in yet another load of laundry…whatever it may be! For me, a really good audiobook has me sitting in the car a little bit longer and heading towards boring chores with a little bit of a spring in my step.
All of the audiobooks I listen to are from the library and I generally use the OverDrive app. I’ve also occassionally used CDs from the library, although then I’m limited to listening in the car. I used to try to search for specific books and just hope that the narrator might be good, but lately I’ve had success searching by the narrator instead, since I find many voices difficult to listen to and once I find someone I like it’s a lot easier to go from there. I also have had more success with middle grade books, perhaps because kids won’t put up with bad readers and the trend for adults listening to audiobooks is more recent?
I’m writing this in advance of my baby coming (although she is past her due date), but by the time this publishes she will be here. That means that I’m particularly hoping you all can help me build on this list. I love the idea of the two of us getting to listen to an excellent audiobook during our hours of snuggling together ahead. Please help a sleep-deprived new mom out and give me your suggestions!
Those 20 Audiobooks That Had Me Hooked
- anything you can find : )
narrated by Jim Dale
- Agatha Christie’s Murder on the Orient Express
narrated by Dan Stevens
- Roald Dahl’s Matilda
narrated by Kate Winslet
- Jessica Townsend’s Nevermoor
narrated by Gemma Whalen
- Anthony Horowitz’s Magpie Murders
narrated by Samantha Bond and Allan Corduner
- Alexander McCall Smith’s No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency
narrated by Lisette Lecat
- Bill Bryson’s A Walk in the Woods
narrated by Bill Bryson
- Robert Galbraith’s (J.K. Rowling’s) The Cuckoo’s Calling
narrated by Robert Glenister
- Nora Ephron’s I Feel Bad About My Neck
narrated by Nora Ephron
- Elena Ferrante’s My Brilliant Friend
narrated by Hillary Huber
- Mindy Kaling’s Why Not Me?
narrated by Mindy Kaling
- Ruth Reichl’s Garlic and Sapphires
narrated by Bernadette Dunne
- Alan Bradley’s The Sweetness At The Bottom of the Pie
narrated by Jayne Entwistle
- Beverly Cleary’s Henry and the Clubhouse
narrated by Neil Patrick Harris
- Roald Dahl’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
narrated by Douglas Hodge
- Wendelin Van Draanen’s Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief
narrated by Tara Sands
- Christopher Paul Curtis’s The Watsons Go To Birmingham: 1963
narrated by LeVar Burton
- Noel Streatfeild’s Dancing Shoes
narrated by Elizabeth Sastre
- Lauren Graham’s Talking As Fast As I Can
narrated by Lauren Graham
- Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrow’s The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
narrated by Paul Boehmer, Susan Duerden, Rosalyn Landor, John Lee, and Juliet Mills
- anything you can find : )